02/22/2009 - ROCK ON!..
Man o man, have I been busy working on the 'schmitt. Sorry I did not take more pictures while I was doing the work, but I was usually too dirty to handle the camera. Behold!
Stupid shadow! Anyway, it is back up on all three wheels! You can also see where I have been painting on the interior. On the side you can see where I tried the aluminium paint, and I did not like it. After considering Gray, White and Red, we know plan on painting it Blue. I am very close to getting the main body painted. I will do the other pieces other.
Ignoring all of the dust and dirt, doesn'e that look nice? I ordered up new bushings (as necessary) and new grease covers from Brazil. The shock is a standard issue Monroe 33000. Cheap, and it bolts up just like the original. New wheel cylinders and lines also from Brazil. So close!
The other side. Obviously I have not replumbed the brake lines yet. However, I do have a new master cylinder on order. The guy who built this fortunately used a very common Wagner Lockheed FE 2693 cylinder. I was able to buy on on Amazon for 37 bucks. Free shipping too!!
This shows off the cleaned up transaxle and repainted parts back in place. Notice the new rubber bits on the steering rack. Guess I need to finish cleaning off the inside of the bellhousing. Nahhh..who cares? No one will see it. BTW, it was miserable getting the transaxle cleaned off. The goo was caked on and rock hard! I used Rust-O-Leum Stainless Steel paint on the parts, and it looks so cool. I used it on the nuts and bolts after sandblasting, and it just looks so good!
Back end all cleaned up and pretty. After taking this picture today, I finished hooking up the brakes on the back wheel, so the emergency brake cable you see lying there is hooked up and works!
Repainted dash with the speedo in for a test fit. Still need to finish painting this and cleaning up.
Sterring wheel repairs are coming right along. This thing was a mess! A little more sanding and bondo and it will be ready for painting.
ZOOM!!! Very soon........but now it is time to reassemble and install the engine, and repair the steering column.
Back to the home page